Why Do Your Eyes Twitch During Pregnancy
Shop Our Online Store
For our eyewear deals
Your eyes twitch like crazy while pregnant? You’re not alone.
Eye twitching is generally an uncontrollable and repetitive blinking or spasm of the eyelid. It can involve either the upper or lower lid, but only one eye at a time.
Eye twitching can range from barely noticeable to bothersome because they are painless and harmless but if the spasms are strong enough they can cause your eyelids to completely shut and then reopen.
Normally, the twitching does not last for long but may happen again within a few hours or longer. This can result from a number of known causes, some of which are stress, anxiety, insomnia and fatigue. So why do your eyes twitch during pregnancy?
Why do your eyes twitch during pregnancy?
Stress. Many expectant mothers experience stress and anxiety at various times during pregnancy. Stress is the leading cause of eye twitching or eye spasm during pregnancy.
How to treat:
- Try to avoid stress triggers as much as possible.
- Try to eat a healthy diet and exercise.
- Spend most of your time on your hobbies. Music and meditation are the best solutions to get a great relief from stress.
Lack of minerals and vitamins. Many moms-to-be lacks a bunch of common nutrients in their diet during their pregnancy. Unfortunately, we don’t always understand what the potential impacts can be if we fail to boost our intake of these nutrients.
How to treat:
- It is best to get vitamins and minerals from the food you eat. Bilberry and blackcurrant help to create circulation in the smallest eye capillaries. Bananas contain a lot of zinc and potassium and can be very helpful in treating an eye twitch.
- When you are pregnant you will need to take some supplements as well.
- You can get supplements from pharmacies and supermarkets with doctor prescription. If you want to get your folic acid or vitamin D from a multivitamin tablet, make sure that the tablet does not contain vitamin A because too much vitamin A, or supplements containing vitamin A could harm your baby.
Dry eyes. Dry eye syndrome is one of the most common maladies affecting pregnant women. This is because the changes in hormones affect tear and lipid production.
How to treat:
- It’s essential to take breaks from time to time from the computer screen. Blink often to keep your eyes moisturized
- Try not to rub when you have itchy, swelling, watery or tired eyes because it might release histamine that causes an eye twitch.
- Doctors may suggest eye drops or antihistamine tablets to help but using antihistamine can also cause dry eyes so talk to your doctor to find the best solutions for your case.
Some other useful tips
- For immediate relief, splash your face and eyes with cold water.
- To clean your eyes and relax your eye muscles, use a few drops of rose water as eye drops.
- Gently massaging your eyelids with a warm and wet towel or washcloth to relax the muscles around your eyes. Some thin slices of cucumber or potato on your eyes could help soothing as well.
- Practice some eye exercises to help relieve pressure on your eyes.
- Blink often.
When to see a doctor
Most of the time, eye twitch goes away within a short period of time. Eye twitches can drive you nuts if it continues for a longer time but it’s not really an indication of any serious medical conditions. Most of the times, the issue will be resolved with handy remedies as mentioned above and you might not need to visit a doctor.
However, in case you have eye twitching or blinking that won’t go away, you should not ignore or you might end up harming your unborn child.
- It has not gone away in one week
- Eye spasm closes your eyelid completely
- Other parts of the face are involved in the twitching
- Top eyelid droops
- Have blurred vision or sensitivity to light
- The twitch is painful and uncomfortable
- It happens more often and intensely
- Eye twitch comes with fever
This blog post is brought to you by All Painting Ltd. If you are looking to start a well thoughtout and well executed interior painting or an exterior painting project to improve your property value significantly, give All Painting Ltd. a call. They haves teams of reliable Burnaby painters or Coquitlam paintersto help give your property a fresh coat of paint. Click this link for to check out their Burnaby painters’ reviews. Click this link for their Coquitlam painters’ reviews.