Pediatric Eye Care
Pediatric Eye Care
Many parents take their children to dentists, and pediatricians for regular checkups. However, what most parents fail to realize is that children also require regular eye care. Whether your children wear eyeglasses or not, pediatric eye care is necessary today.
The AOA (American Optometry Association) estimates that every 1 out of 4 child has eye-related problems or conditions. If untreated, these could lead to serious effects on their development, performance, health, and learning. To protect the eyesight of your children, here are some precautions you should take:
- During pregnancy, ensure that you eat healthy food. This ensures their development in the early stages of their life is healthy.
- Providing your children with nutritious fruits, nuts, vegetables, meals, and 12 ounces of fish per week is healthy. These contain essential nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins like C, E, B, minerals like omega-3, zinc, lutein and more. All these are vital and they play a key role in the development of good eye health.
- Avoid providing your kids with sharp edged toys, which can harm their eyes.
- Give them toys that can encourage their visual development.
- If you ever notice any eye problem, ensure that you visit an optometrist right away.
- Look at their pupil for any signs of cloudiness or haziness.
- Keep them protected from sun when outdoor. This means you should provide them with UV coated eyeglasses, especially if they have light-colored eyes.
- Whenever its time for a sport activity, provide them with proper athletic gears for their eyes.
Detection of eye problems in children at early stages is vital to ensure that your children grow with the perfect visual abilities they need in their life. There is no doubt that vision is one of the most important among five senses. Throughout childhood and beyond, it plays an important role.
Pediatric optometry may include the fitting of contact lenses, or eyeglasses for children. Sometimes, it can include exercises, which are designed in ways that strengthen the vision of children. Proper therapy for the performance of vision can improve and enhance the eyes of children. It can also improve their ability to pursue and learn other activities too.